History of the OHSAA
The History of The OHSAA
The Ohio High School Athletic Association is a voluntary, unincorporated, not-for-profit association of public and private high schools and 7th-8th grade schools. During the 2010-11 school year there were 828 member schools. There were 798 member schools in the 7th-8th grade division.
The impetus for the founding of the Ohio High School Athletic Association came from the Western Ohio Superintendents Round Table as a result of discussions in the 1890's and early 1900's. At the March, 1906, meeting of the Round Table, a resolution was adopted to appoint a committee headed by George R. Eastman of Steele High School in Dayton.
The first meeting of the first Board of Control was held in Columbus on November 9, 1907, with George R. Eastman, Dayton, President; W.H. Rice, Chillicothe, Secretary-Treasurer; William McClain, London; S.H. Layton and F.C. Kirkendall, Piqua, present. On May 23, 1908, the first state championship sponsored by the OHSAA was held at Beaver Field, Denison University, Granville. The First State Track and Field Tournament involved over 100 entrants from 23 of the 30 member high schools. Columbus North was crowned the first champion with 19 points to 16 for Dayton Steele.
The OHSAA started with five districts in 1907, but soon changed to six districts in 1908.
The operation of the OHSAA is the responsibility of the Commissioner and his staff with offices located in Columbus. In addition to the Commissioner, there are seven other administrative personnel plus 12 full-time secretarial and clerical personnel.
Until 1925, the business affairs of the OHSAA were handled by the Board of Control officers. In 1925, H.R. Townsend was employed as a full-time Commissioner.
The OHSAA sponsors state championships in 12 boys sports and 12 girls sports as a result of that humble beginning of one in 1908.